About 50 local Trump supporters gathered along Route 61 near Orwigsburg on Saturday afternoon for the latest Operation Flag Drop event in Schuylkill County.
What’s a flag drop, exactly?
Well, nothing’s really dropped. Literally, you show up, wave your Trump flags and get passing motorists to honk at you.
It beats the heck out of virtual Zoom calls with candidates. These flag drop events have a real energy to them. No, they’re not the same as you’d expect from an actual Trump rally but there’s definitely a buzz in the air.
And it was hard to match the excitement shown by Mark Stefura, one of the co-organizers of the local flag drop event, held outside Schuylkill Gun Works, where earlier in the week, senior Trump campaign advisor John Pence and Congressman Dan Meuser held a small rally.
Stefura attached a Trump 2020 flag to what looked like a 15-foot pole and waved it alongside the highway. As music blared from a nearby pickup truck, he showed no shame in dancing along.
“When you look at all the President has promised and completed, you can’t help but be excited,” he says.
The other organizer of the local flag drop, Carolyn Bonkoski, says, “People want everyone to know we are for Trump.”
On the surface, it may not seem like the most compelling event, but if you’re a Trump supporter, you’re just looking for any way to connect to like-minded voters, especially when the media, social media and others are trying to distance you from people like yourself.
Wendy Delp, of Pine Grove, says the flag drop event Saturday got her in the spirit to re-elect President Trump.
As car after car and truck after truck passed by wildly honking their horns, she tells us, “It’s a patriotic feeling being out here. When people beep, it gives me so much hope.”
Another flag waver on Saturday, Ernie Garcia, of Lake Wynonah, says his life has improved tremendously since Trump took office, namely through his job as a truck driver.
“Look at what he’s done for us,” Garcia tells The Canary. “Since he’s been President, I’ve gotten four raises.”
Garcia also tells us his employer gave out salary bonuses since Trump’s been in office, too.
Upcoming Operation Flag Drop Events in Schuylkill County
If you missed the event Saturday, you still have a few more chances to get and show your support for Trump at these upcoming Operation Flag Drop events in Schuylkill County:
- Oct. 22 (3-5 p.m.): At the former Pizza Hut parking lot catty-corner to the Sheetz in Pottsville
- Oct. 23 (3-5 p.m.): At 3Cs Restaurant near Port Clinton
- Oct. 28 (6:30 p.m.): At Orwigsburg Park
- Oct. 30 (3-5 p.m.): At Mother’s Memorial in Ashland
- Oct. 31 (3:30 p.m.): At the Port Carbon Halloween Parade
- Tom Wolf’s New Crowd Size Limits in Pennsylvania Defy Math and Logic
- The Canary’s Latest Election Prediction: Trump 338, Biden 200
- Kirstie Alley Backs Trump – But Would Cheers Characters Vote Trump or Biden?
- Biden Says He’s Running for the Senate … Again
- Remember When Joe Biden Called Obama Articulate and Clean?
- The RBG Dying Wish Never Happened