Check out the rendering above showing the proposed Pottsville Discovery Park, to be located at Third and W. Market Sts.
For years, it’s been a vacant lot right in the heart of the downtown. In 2020, however, the Pottsville Redevelopment Authority purchased the lot and discussed plans for a “Discovery Park” that were the brainchild of the city’s late-Mayor Terry Reiley, according to a RepublicanHerald report.
Now, thanks to a grant from the Pennsylvania Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR), the project has some funding.
State Sen. Dave Argall (R-29) announced Thursday that it is 1 of 10 parks in Schuylkill County that’s the recipient of a DCNR grant. The money comes from the DCNR Conservation Community Partnerships Program.
More Than $1 Million Awarded to Schuylkill County Parks Projects
“Improved parks and trails are a key ingredient in revitalized communities, large and small,” Argall says in a statement. “If we want to breathe new life into many of our older communities, this is one proven strategy.”
Pottsville’s Discovery Park gets $120,000 in grant money. The DCNR money is a matching grant for the Pottsville project, according to Savas Logothetides, executive director at Pottsville Area Development Corp.
The park is proposed to feature solar panels, a mural, public art, and an amphitheater.
In total, the 10 Schuylkill County parks will split a pot of $1,009,000.
Here’s a list of the other Schuylkill County parks projects awarded these DCNR grants:
- $50,000: Donaldson Park, Frailey Township
- $70,000: Kaier’s Park, Mahanoy City
- $114,000: Ridge Road Park, Orwigsburg
- $46,700: Memorial Park, Reilly Township
- $76,800: Ryan Memorial Park, Rush Township
- $104,500: Schuylkill River Trail development (4 miles in Blythe and New Castle townships and Saint Clair)
- $56,000: Wildcat Park, Walker Township
- $129,000: Wayne Township Community Park, Wayne Township
- $242,000: Atlas Park, West Penn Township
Image: Oombra Architects, Philadelphia