Girardville House Fire Sends 4 to Hospitals
A malfunctioning electric space heater is being blamed for a house fire in Girardville New Year’s morning that sent 4 people – including 2 children – to hospitals.
Girardville House Fire Sends 4 to Hospitals on New Year’s Morning
According to State Police in Frackville, first responders were called to 217 W. Main St. in Girardville at 8:23 a.m. on Friday for a house fire. A neighbor who first spotted the flames called 9-1-1.
At the time of the initial call, 4 people inside the home were asleep. They eventually made it to their front porch roof. That’s where several neighbors and Girardville Fire Chief Frank Zangari helped rescue the residents from the burning building.
Two of the residents – a 14-year-old boy and 11-year-old girl – were flown by helicopter to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Another resident, 41-year-old Christopher Katsoris, was taken to the same hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation. And 42-year-old Camille Katsoris was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Pottsville for treatment of unspecified injuries.
While the residents were being rescued, firefighters battled the blaze on the first floor, in the dining room, of the house on Main St.
A State Police investigation determined that the space heater started the fire. It was ruled accidental.
For a report from the scene of the fire on Friday morning, check out this report from The Shenandoah Sentinel: Four transported from Girardville duplex blaze; adjoining home saved
Subscribe to Coal Region CanaryGet email updates from Coal Region Canary by becoming a subscriber today. Just enter your email address below to get started!
Canary on Social MediaFollow Coal Region Canary on Facebook.
And check us out on Twitter.