UPDATE: No cause for the fire has been determined. An investigation into the blaze continues.
A dramatic three-alarm fire in Ashland overnight resulted in at least one “Mayday” call from a firefighter.
Firefighters responded to a call of a fire in the 100 block of Centre Street in Ashland after 3 a.m. Sunday.
According to witnesses on the scene posting to social media during the incident, it’s likely one firefighter fell through the floor of one of the burning structures. That prompted a “Mayday” call.
In total, six buildings burned. Included in that is the popular M&M Sandwich Shop.
This morning, the Red Cross of Eastern PA reports it’s helping 5 people displaced by the blaze.
For more on this incident, check out the coverage from the scene.
Here’s the Shenandoah Sentinel report from the ground: Early morning blaze rips through Ashland row homes
And their video from Ashland, too:
SkookNews was also at the scene of the fire overnight. They filed this report earlier today, too: Fire Crews at the Scene of a Multi-Alarm Fire in Ashland
Check out the video and photos as they were posted on Schuylkill County Firewire last night. Credit to Tony Bendele for these images:
Turn your head and check out the flames licking up the side of the building in this scene captured by YouTube user Alan Urbanowicz:
Earlier in the day, coincidentally, members of Ashland Fire Department and American Red Cross were busy at work in the borough. According to SkookNews.com, the two teamed up to install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in homes without them. They put these live-saving devices in two dozen homes.