PennDOT has banned travel for most vehicles on Interstate 81 and US 209 in Schuylkill County during Sunday night’s winter storm.
Additionally, the speed limit has been reduced to 45 mph on those roads.
Travel Restricted, Speed Reduced on Schuylkill County Roads During Winter Storm
PennDOT has placed a Tier 2 travel restriction on I-81 and US Route 209 in Schuylkill County. That bans travel for the following vehicles:
- Tractors without trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers;
- Tractors towing loaded tandem trailers unless there are chains or another approved Alternate Traction Device on board;
- Enclosed cargo delivery trucks that meet the definition of a CMV;
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV’s, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers;
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes;
- School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches; and
For those vehicles that are permitted on those roads or when travel is absolutely necessary, the speed limit is temporarily 45 mph.
Anywhere between 3-6 inches of snow is expected to fall on Schuylkill County Sunday night before a period of wintry mix and freezing rain before a change to plain rain and then back to snow late-Monday morning.
Schuylkill County is under a Winter Weather Advisory until 1 p.m. Monday.