The only time Schuylkill County Commissioner George Halcovage’s name came up during Wednesday’s work session meeting was for roll call votes.
His name and its connection with the ongoing personnel saga within the Schuylkill County Courthouse didn’t come up once.
Halcovage Accusers and “County Employees” Go Silent on Harassment Allegations
That’s a stark and quick contrast to the previous weeks at the Courthouse during those tense meetings.
The previous two weeks, Halcovage sat with the Board of Commissioners and listened to person after person call him a predator and prowler. At least a half dozen women, most claiming to be County employees, said they felt unsafe working in the same building as Halcovage.
But on Wednesday, we heard none of that.
The work session meeting went on for about a half hour without any theatrics.
No Public Comments
Wednesday’s work session followed the new protocol set by current Commissioners chairman Boots Hetherington. Remember, he caused an uproar last week when he unexpectedly limited public comments at the beginning of the Commissioners meeting to items on the Agenda.
He created a second Public Comment section for non-Agenda items at the end of the meeting. This week’s work session meeting followed that format.
Anonymity Not Allowed
Despite the women who called in last week saying they feared retribution for speaking out – via teleconference line due to the meeting being held virtually – against Halcovage, Hetherington also insisted that callers speaking during Public Comment periods state their name and municipality.
As we pointed out last week, the people identifying themselves as County employees last week technically could have been anyone.
Both of these could be reasons why no one called in to speak against Halcovage on Wednesday. Or, perhaps, everyone (or someone) was on vacation.
MORE ON THE HALCOVAGE #METOO CASE:
- The Summer of George Halcovage (A Meme Story)
- Women Claiming to be Courthouse Employees Say They Don’t Feel Safe at Work
- “Maria, would you please sit down?” – Drama Over Agenda Order at Schuylkill Commissioners Meeting
- Halcovage Confined to Office, Bathroom Breaks at Schuylkill County Courthouse
- 65% of Canary Readers Think Halcovage Should Resign as Commissioner
- Halcovage Accusers Talk to TV Media Before Wednesday’s Commissioners Meeting
- Solicitor Says Schuylkill County Commissioner Halcovage Violated Sexual Harassment Policy