America’s last St. Patrick’s Day parade is ready to step off in Girardville, Pa. It begins at noon on Saturday, March 30.
This tiny Schuylkill County borough turns it up to 11 for this annual parade. The Girardville St. Patrick’s Day parade is in its 16th year now. Honestly, it seems like there have been so many more.
In that time, it’s gained a reputation as one of the biggest parties of the year in Schuylkill County. That’s no small accomplishment. Schuylkill County knows how to get down.
Parade organizers can expect more than 10,000 people to pack into Guntown for the day.
Girardville’s St. Patrick’s Day parade is so revered, it’s drawn the attention of former President Bill Clinton. Clinton famously marched in the parade in 2008, when his wife was running for President the first time.
2019 Girardville St. Patrick’s Day Parade
The 2019 Girardville St. Patrick’s Day Parade is Saturday, March 30. It starts promptly at noon.
The Grand Marshal of this year’s parade is The Girardville Good Time Club.
OK, so for the elephant in the room here … A St. Patrick’s Day parade on March 30th?
This infamous event on Schuylkill County’s calendar has been fouled by winter weather in the past.
So, this year, parade organizers decided to just move the parade back a bit. It’s got to be the last official St. Patrick’s Day parade in America, surely.
Just in case, there is a rain/snow date for next Saturday. However, the weather this Saturday will not be a problem. With temps in the mid- to upper-60s in Guntown, revelers will likely be out in full force.
Here’s the parade route for the 2019 Girardville St. Patrick’s Day parade:
The parade starts on 4th Street and takes a quick turn west on to Main St. It follows Main Street all the way to Julia Street. There for just two blocks, the parade spins back east onto Ogden Street. It follows Ogden until it hits Second Street for a block and then onto the home stretch of A Street.
Word to the Wise on the Girardville St. Patrick’s Day Parade
This is one real hootenanny. Easily one of the top events on the county calendar. And you know that means adult beverages are consumed.
That doesn’t mean it’s unfriendly to families. There are plenty of spots along the parade route — it’s more than 2 miles long — to completely avoid a large portion of that revelry.
2019 Girardville St. Patrick’s Day Lineup
Here are the divisions and participants in this year’s parade:
- Girardville Police Car
- Schuylkill County Sheriff – Joseph Groody
- AOH Div 39 Honor Guard
- Grand Marshal Trolley
- CAR 1 Clergy
- CAR 2- Joe Hosey Carbondale
- CAR 3- Joe Wayne
- Hawk Mtn Highlanders
- Banner from Ireland
- Jack Kehoe Division #1, Ancient Order of Hibernians, Girardville
- Daughter of Erin Division #18, Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians, Girardville
- Cass Twp AOH 3
- Clover Fire Co
- Patrick Dormer Division #32, Ancient Order of Hibernians, St Clair
- AOH extras/ Lehigh AOH w Saint Patrick
- Scranton Black Diamond Pipe Band
- Viet Nam Veterans
- Congressman Dan Meuser
- Senator David Argall
- Schuylkill County Commissioners
- Schuylkill County Democratic Party
- The Troubles
- Schuylkill County Republican Party
- Victorian Highwheelers
- Brian Boru Pipe and Drum Band
- MCI Pride
- Jack Bergen Motorcycle
- Girard Hose Engine 45-11
- Girard Hose Squad 45-70
- Schuylkill County Fair Royalty
- Sabo School of Irish Dancing
- The Birches
- David Lucas Coal Mining Float
- Rosalie Kuzma
- Eckley Miner Player
- Seltzer Fire Co
- Rajah String Band
- Rajah Clowns
- Mike Matsago Army Truck
- Joe Ferraro
- CACL Financial
- Upper Schuylkill Band
- Locust Gap Fire Company Engine 25
- Strong Fire Co
- Clover- Mt Carmel
- Montgomery County Irish Thunder Bag Pipe Band
- Montgomery County, Men and Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians, Montgomery County
- Montgomery County Degree Honor Guard
- Allegheny AOH/ LAOH & Finn, Mascot
- Mahanoy City Borough and Mahanoy Area Historical Society 1964 Plymouth
- Dan Daub – Mayor of Tower City
- Galena Band
- MCA Think Big
- Beaverdale Fire Co
- Scream Queens
- Patrick’s Lads and Lassies
- Barbara Wayne Memorial Float
- Mackay Pipe Band
- Frackville Elks Float
- Ron Superior car
- Nittany Highland Band
- Wayne’s Plumbing and Heating
- One Source Staffing
- Kerry Dancers
- Celtic United
- AOH Div 25
- Ruhmel Landscaping Lifted green Jem F250
- Travelers Protective Association Post Q (TPA) – Mahanoy City
- AOH Div 61 & Shantys
- AJ Limo Party Bus
- Forks of the Delaware Tin Lizzies
- Rajah Temple Directors Staff
- Keystone Car Club Classic Cars
- 717 Street & Strip Club
- Old School Jeepers Jeep Club