Alvernia University now officially owns the former Giant grocery store building and parking lot in Pottsville.
The school announced plans to renovate the former downtown supermarket into its new Schuylkill County campus, called Pottsville CollegeTowne last year. And at the time, Alvernia signed an agreement to purchase the building and associated land with it.
The deal came just as Schuylkill County government officials were contemplating purchasing it for one of their cockeyed plans, which they never fully revealed – it was either a pre-release prison or extra County office and storage space.
A rumored plan to build a pre-release prison at that location drew the ire of numerous business officials in Pottsville and from state politicians representing Schuylkill County. State Sen. Dave Argall even wrote legislation that would have tried to block such sales from taking place.
Price Tag for New Alvernia University Location in Pottsville Revealed
Thankfully, the government’s plans never materialized and Alvernia swooped in to snag the property, which had been vacant since the supermarket closed the year prior.
Back on Jan. 6, Alvernia took ownership of that downtown Pottsville property.
And according to the Schuylkill parcel locator tool, the school paid $1.4 million for it.
Locals can expect to see work to renovate the former supermarket into Alvernia’s new location this Spring. The school expects to put the job out to bid soon, according to Alvernia’s President John Loyack.
- Alvernia Gets $3M For Pottsville CollegeTowne
- Alvernia Eyes Downtown Pottsville Location To Expand CollegeTowne Concept
- Alvernia Makes Pottsville CollegeTowne Official At Downtown Press Conference
- Alvernia To Purchase Former GIANT Grocery Store In Pottsville For CollegeTowne
- Pottsville School Board Members Formally Oppose County Pursuit Of GIANT Property
- Pennsylvania Senate Approves Argall’s Pottsville GIANT Bill
- Schuylkill Commissioners Authorize Purchase Of Former Pottsville GIANT In Literal Backroom Deal
- Secret Agenda: Schuylkill Commissioners Voting Wednesday On Former Pottsville GIANT Grocery Store
- Pottsville Vs. Schuylkill County In Fight Over GIANT Property
- Source: Schuylkill County Eyes Former GIANT Supermarket In Pottsville For Prison Pre-Release Center
- Giant Supermarket Closing Downtown Pottsville Location
- EXCLUSIVE: Pre-Release Prison Definitely The Plan For Former GIANT Property