A Johnstown man has been charged with DUI vehicular homicide for an incident that happened along Interstate 78 in Berks County back in July.
The incident resulted in the death of a Halifax man, 29-year-old Tyler Laudenslager.
Johnstown Man Faces DUI Vehicular Homicide Charge in July Death of Halifax Tow Truck Driver
According to Pennsylvania State Police in Hamburg, 29-year-old Allen E. Putman now faces a DUI vehicular homicide charge along with a slew of other charges related to that crash that happened on July 21 in Bethel Township.
Putman, of Johnstown, was driving along I-78 westbound near Mile Mark 14.7 on the evening of July 21. In the passing lane, Putman slammed into the back of what police describe as a “commercial motor vehicle”. After making impact with that vehicle, driven by 33-year-old Bethlehem man Adeel Mazhar, Putman then veered his vehicle to the right on the highway.
That’s when Putman’s vehicle hit Laudenslager, an on-duty tow truck driver who was actively assisting another disabled motorist at the time. Laudenslager was off the roadway, on the shoulder of I-78 West.
Putman then smashed into a tow truck and continued forward for about two-tenths of a mile. Inside his vehicle were 2 other adults and 1 child, a 9-year-old boy. Police have identified the other adult passengers in the vehicle as Johnstown residents: Tahnaya Calhoun, 38, and Tahdirra McIntyre, 20.
All four inside Putman’s vehicle were taken from the scene to Reading Hospital with moderate to severe injuries.
Charges Against Allen E. Putman, Johnstown
Here is a list of the charges pending against Putman:
- Homicide by Vehicle, DUI
- Homicide by Vehicle
- Use/Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- DUI: Controlled Substance (Schedule 1)
- DUI: Controlled Substance (Schedule 2, 3)
- DUI: Controlled Substance (Metabolite)
- DUI: Controlled Substance (Impaired ability)
- Reckless Endangerment
- Disregarding Traffic Lane
- Following Too Closely
- Halifax Tow Truck Driver Killed in I-78 Crash Tuesday Evening Near Bethel
- Cyber Thief Steals $250 from Elderly Cressona Woman to Start FanDuel Account
- West Brunswick Man Finds Bottles of Pee on Property Line
- Minnesota Man Charged in Girardville Strangulation
- Pallets of Mayonnaise Dumped in Frailey Township