Let’s take a look at some of the top crime stories in Schuylkill County during the year 2020.
We bet you’d probably forgotten about some of these big headlines.
Schuylkill County Crime 2020 – The Year’s Top Stories
Here’s a look at what we believe were some of the biggest crime news stories in 2020.
The Grinch Strikes Twice
It wasn’t long after the big ball dropped to usher in 2020 when we caught wind of a big arrest in Minersville. Police there had nabbed a notorious meth dealer known as The Grinch.
And, well, the story brought out the poet in us here at The Canary.
Shooting at Pottsville Bar
Normally, something like a bar shooting in Pottsville (or anywhere in Schuylkill County) would be a candidate for Story of the Year. Somehow, this year, this story that happened way back on Leap Day got buried under a heap of other craziness.
But we were there on the bitter cold morning of Feb. 29 as police investigated a shooting at Woody’s along Peacock St. in Pottsville.
Check out some of our coverage of this incident and the reaction to it by neighbors in the area:
- 4 Injured in Shooting at Pottsville Bar
- Attempted Homicide Charges Filed in Connection with Pottsville Bar Shooting
- Pottsville Neighbors Worry: “We’re Going to Have to Start Carrying.”
- State Police: “How They Find Pottsville … I Don’t Know”
DA Seeks Death Penalty in Shenandoah Homicide
In late August, police made an arrest in a homicide investigation in Shenandoah. Now, Schuylkill County District Attorney Mike O’Pake says he’ll seek the death penalty for Nathaniel Kimmel, 22, of Girardville.
Kimmel is charged with killing his ex-girlfriend outside her home after she returned there from work.
Be sure to check out The Shenandoah Sentinel for full coverage of this story.
Manhunt Follows Chase Through Schuylkill County
An undercover drug deal gone wrong led to a wild ride through Schuylkill County. After the perpetrators crashed, they went on the run, prompting a night-long manhunt for them in southern Schuylkill County.
- Suspects Nabbed Following Overnight Search
- Burglary Charges Tacked On for Pair Who Led Police on Overnight Manhunt
Seltzer Man Charged with Arson Following Massive Fire
In early December, police charged a Seltzer man with arson for intentionally setting fire to a home that eventually destroyed two homes and damaged the local fire house.
Serial Convenience Store Robber Taken Down
Just as the pandemic restrictions were taking effect, convenience stores in Schuylkill County were plagued by a rash of robberies. Many of the robberies were tied to a single bandit, who was eventually taken down following a traffic incident outside Cressona.
John Bennett Jr. now faces multiple felony charges for his string of robberies earlier this year.
Here’s our coverage of the incidents:
- WE GOT HIM – Mini Mart Spree Bandit Busted After Crashing Benz Into Empty Police Cruiser
- 4 Schuylkill County Convenience Stores Held Up at Gunpoint Overnight
- Cressona Man Faces Felony Charges on 9 Convenience Store Armed Robberies
Other Schuylkill County Police Stories in 2020
Here are some other crime headlines that grabbed our attention in the year 2020:
- Schuylkill County Man Caught in ‘To Catch a Predator’ Sting
- Schuylkill County Man Found Passed Out Drunk in Burger King Drive-Thru
- Schuylkill County Man Gets Tased After Leading Police on Scooter Chase
- Fountain Springs Man Threw Glass, Cassettes at Police During Standoff Wednesday
- Police Chase Starting in Saint Clair Ends in Hegins Cornfield
- Westmoreland Man Jailed in Schuylkill County After Drug-Induced Home Invasion
- Schuylkill County Cheap Booze Bandit Strikes Again – What Did He Steal This Time?
- One Senior Thumps Another With His Walking Cane