National Weather Service downgraded the impending winter storm on Schuylkill County.
Previously under a Winter Storm Watch, Schuylkill County is now under a Winter Weather Advisory.
In addition to the storm weakening, the affected time by the NWS alert is shorter, too.
The Winter Weather Advisory for Schuylkill County goes into effect starting at 5 a.m. Sunday. It expires at 7 a.m. Monday.
UPDATE: On Sunday, National Weather Service extended the Winter Weather Advisory until 1 p.m. Monday.
Winter Weather Advisory – Winter Storm Ezekiel
Forecasters at NWS predict little snow accumulation for Schuylkill County now. The storm system will affect the area in two stages.
On Sunday morning, between 5-7 a.m., a wintry mix should start to cover Schuylkill County. This wintry mix persists through much of the day on Sunday but gradually changes to plain rain.
A brief lull interrupts the storm. Then, a backlash from a coastal storm in the Atlantic Ocean will kick some snow back over Schuylkill County.
Some areas in extreme northeast PA could get more than a foot of snow from this storm.
But in Schuylkill County, we can expect just light snowfall on Sunday night into Monday morning.
NWS predicts a coating of ice will cover Schuylkill County on Sunday before plain rain starts to melt it away. Then, about 1″ of snow will complete the storm.
Here is the 36-hour NWS forecast for Pottsville:
- Sunday: Snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 3pm, then rain, possibly mixed with freezing rain between 3pm and 4pm, then rain after 4pm. The sleet could be heavy at times. High near 35. East wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Sunday Night: Rain, possibly mixed with snow showers before 2am, then rain showers between 2am and 4am, then rain, possibly mixed with snow showers after 4am. Low around 34. North wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Monday: Rain and snow showers, becoming all snow after 1pm. High near 39. North wind 6 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Monday Night: A chance of snow showers before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Northwest wind 11 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Weather forecasters in the coal region sure had everyone excited for the first big storm of the year. Read about the hype that never materialized in our Winter Storm Ezekiel Panic Post.
- Ezekiel Round 2 – Fannock Says 5-10″