The Patrick Murphy murder case now has a judge.
According to information from Orleans Parish Criminal District Court, Magen Hall must answer charges of second-degree murder, armed robbery and obstruction of justice before Judge Byron C. Williams.
Patrick Murphy Murder Case Assigned to Judge Byron Williams
The Murphy murder case was allotted soon after the Orleans Parish District Attorney announced he had secured a grand injury indictment against Hall.
Williams presides over Section G of Orleans Parish Criminal District Court. It’s 1 of 12 criminal courts in the Parish. Hall’s case was assigned at random to Williams.
Next up for Hall is arraignment on June 18. That’s Tuesday of this week. No time’s been set for that arraignment. Stay with The Canary for all the latest developments from New Orleans.
At Tuesday’s arraignment, Williams will likely set a new bond amount for Hall. Currently, Hall’s bond is at $750,000.
The arraignment is when Hall will enter a formal plea to the charges against her.
New Charges Against Magen Hall
In the preliminary phase of this case, John Fuller, attorney for Hall, indicated his client is ready to fight the murder charge against her.
When Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro announced the grand jury indictment against Hall on Thursday, he also announced new charges in the case: armed robbery and obstruction of justice in a homicide investigation.
According to a statement from Cannizzaro’s office, it’s believed Hall leaves the Empress Hotel on the night of Feb. 28 with some of Murphy’s belongings.
That’s the night it’s believed Hall, a prostitute, stabbed Murphy, her john for the night, to death in a second-floor room at the 1-star Empress Hotel in the Treme section of New Orleans.
The two were seen entering the hotel together that night but only Hall left, about two hours after getting there.
Murphy was in New Orleans with his wife reportedly for a vacation following a business trip.
Check out previous coverage of the Patrick Murphy murder case from The Canary:
- What’s Next in the Patrick Murphy Murder Case?
Orleans Parish DA Secures Grand Jury Indictment in Murphy Murder Case
- Patrick Murphy Stabbed 3 Times
- Tick-tock of Patrick Murphy Preliminary Hearing
- What Will Megan Hall Say in Defense of Killing Patrick Murphy?
- “Get in the Bathroom” Last Words Patrick Murphy Heard
- Will DA Seek Lesser Charges in Patrick Murphy Murder Case?
- Patrick Murphy Murder Suspect Arrested
- Schuylkill County Residents Trolling Patrick Murphy Murder Suspect
- Patrick Murphy Murder Suspect Has Illicit History
- Locals React to Patrick Murphy Murder News
- Pottsville Businessman Patrick Murphy Killed in New Orleans