Schuylkill County could send as many as 4 people to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives under a new District map approved by the Pennsylvania Legislative Reapportionment Commission on Friday.
We could send as many as 4 but as few as 1.
Under the new map’s boundaries, Schuylkill County is split into 4 districts: the 107th, the 116th, the 123rd, and 124th. Currently, Schuylkill County is split into 3 districts and two of them are represented by a county resident.
In 3 of the 4 new districts that include Schuylkill County, another county is partially included, too. Just 1 of the districts, the new 123rd, is entirely comprised of Schuylkill County voters.
New Pennsylvania House Districts – Schuylkill County
Here’s how the new Pennsylvania House districts will be split as they relate to Schuylkill County.
The new 107th District in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives will consist of parts of Northumberland and Schuylkill counties.
Here are the Schuylkill County municipalities in the 107th:
- Boroughs: Pine Grove, Tower City, Tremont
- Townships: Barry, Eldred, Foster, Frailey, Hegins, Hubley, Pine Grove, Porter, Reilly, Tremont, Upper Mahantongo, Washington
The population of the 107th is 65,921.
The new 116th District in the state House will include parts of Luzerne and Schuylkill counties.
Check out who’s now in the 116th:
- Boroughs: Mahanoy City, McAdoo, Ringtown, Shenandoah
- Townships: East Union, Kline, Mahanoy, North Union, Union
The population of the 116th is 63,945.
The redrawn 123rd District in the Pennsylvania House is completely inside Schuylkill County.
Here’s who is in the 123rd:
- City: Pottsville
- Boroughs: Ashland, Cressona, Frackville, Gilberton, Girardville, Gordon, Mechanicsville, Middleport, Minersville, Mount Carbon, New Philadelphia, Palo Alto, Port Carbon, Schuylkill Haven, Saint Clair
- Townships: Blythe, Branch, Butler, Cass, East Norwegian, New Castle: North Manheim, Norwegian, Wayne, West Mahanoy
The population of the 123rd is 65,886.
In the new 124th House District in Pennsylvania, parts of Berks and Schuylkill counties are included.
Here’s a look at the municipalities in the 124th:
- Boroughs: Auburn, Coaldale, Deer Lake, Landingville, New Ringgold, Orwigsburg, Port Clinton, Tamaqua
- Townships: Delano, East Brunswick, Rush, Ryan, Schuylkill, South Manheim, Walker, West Brunswick, West Penn
The population of the 124th is 64,846.
While the Legislative Reapportionment Commission passed the final version of the new House map on Friday, legal challenges to it are expected.