Watch the entire Schuylkill County Commissioners meeting here:
Schuylkill County Commissioners meeting minutes from Oct. 11, 2023:
Commissioners Action Items
Here is a rundown of the actions Schuylkill County Commissioners took during their regular board meeting this week:
Children & Youth
- Approved a contract agreement with Penn State Health, Hershey, for child protection team consultancy service at a per unit rate of $175. This contract enables the County’s Children & Youth agency to request an expert opinion from a licensed physician on medical records received on allegations of child abuse. The contract runs from July 1, 2023, until June 30, 2024. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved an agreement with Pathways Adolescent Center, Oil City, for residential and transition living services. The agreement is for the per diem rates of $385 (shelter), $267.64 (transitional living), $250.22 (New Beginnings program), and $230.64 (Pathways program). The term of the agreement runs from July 1, 2023, until June 30, 2024. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved an addendum to the agreement with Wesley Family Services. This agreement is dated Oct. 12, 2022 and the term is now extended to include the 2023-2024 fiscal year at its current rate and terms. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved a grant-in-aid application to administer pass-thru funds for the Juvenile Court Judges’ Commission for improving juvenile justice services in Schuylkill County. The grant package is $1,767,671 and is effective from July 1, 2023 until June 30, 2024. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved an order to execute Juvenile Probation Services grant agreement from the Juvenile Court Judges’ Commission for improving juvenile justice services in Schuylkill County. The award amount is $250,042 and is effective from July 1, 2023 until June 30, 2024. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved an order to increase the monthly contract with Korn Ferry, Philadelphia (Contract #2019-130) for professional actuarial services from $2,777 to $2,804 monthly. The contract rate is effective from Jan. 1, 2024. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved a contract with Gabriel Fera Law Firm, Pittsburgh, for legal services related to the merit system. These new rates take effect on Jan. 1, 2024, and extend until Dec. 31, 2024: $225 (Hourly rate for partners), $210 (Hourly rate for senior associates), $190 (Hourly rate for associates), $190 (Hourly rate for paralegals). (Vote: 3-0)
- Commissioners approved budget adjustments in the following departments for the following amounts: Controller’s office: $81; Risk Management: $150; District Justices – Courts: $354; Adult Probation: $1,000; Public Works: $5,035; Children & Youth: $35,000. These budget adjustments reflect the departments moving money that’s already been budgeted at the beginning of the year from one line-item to another and do not reflect any new spending. (Vote: 3-0)
Commissioners took action on the following items listed under New Business on today’s Agenda:
- Approved the application for a Dept. of Community and Economic Development (DCED) community development grant in the amount of $1,156,649 for federal fiscal year 2023. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved submission of an application to the office of Justice Programs of the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The application requests grant-in-aid funding for fiscal year 2023-24. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved a contract with Antz Energy Systems, Shenandoah, to replace and install chiller 1st stage compressor replacement at Schuylkill County Courthouse. The contract is for $17,500 and runs from Oct. 12, 2023, until April 30, 2024. (Vote: 3-0)
- Approved a contract with Advanced Enviromation Inc. for automatic temperature controls for Courtroom 3 and Courtroom 4 and DDC controls on fan coil units and heat pump control upgrade on the first floor of the Courthouse. The contract is for $17,055 and runs from Oct. 12, 2023 until April 30, 2024. (Vote: 3-0)
Human Resources – Personnel Moves
The Commissioners approved the following personnel actions:
- Promotion: Robert Cazonie (Children & Youth) to County Caseworker 2 at a rate of $21.73/hour.
- Promotion: Pearl Robertson (Drug & Alcohol) to D&A Administrator at a salary of $65,138.
- Appointed: Emily Faschnact (Senior Services) as Intern at a rate of $7.25/hour.
- Appointed: Jacob Sobel (Election Bureau) as Clerk Typist I at a rate of $13.94/hour.
- Appointed: Orlando Varano Castillo (Prison) as Corrections Officer at a rate of $23.07/hour.