Magen Hall Indicted – What’s Next in the Patrick Murphy Murder Case?
So, what happens next in the Patrick Murphy murder case?
The last time Magen Hall was in court, she’d been in an Orleans Parish jail cell for about 2 months.
And then the case was delayed ever further into the summer. The questions we heard the most: What’s happening? What’s taking so long?
But on Thursday, the Orleans Parish District Attorney announced it secured a grand jury indictment against Magen Hall on the following charges:
- Second-degree murder
- Armed robbery
- Obstruction of justice – homicide
The murder charge, alone, carries a mandatory life sentence in Louisiana. She faces decades in prison if convicted on the other charges.
To find out what’s next, The Canary reached out to the Public Information Director for Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro.
Ken Daley explains to us that it’s really impossible to tell when a trial would begin. That really starts with the Discovery phase, where the prosecution and defense can access the evidence the other side has.
“Some judges operate more efficiently than others,” he tells The Canary.
But before we get there, the Patrick Murphy murder case must pass through several other phases:
In the next few days following Thursday’s indictment, Hall’s case will be randomly allotted to 1 of 12 Orleans Parish Criminal District Court judges. That takes approximately 2-3 days, according to Daley. He says to expect that by the middle of next week.
Hall then goes through arraignment. That’s when she’ll be formally charged with the crimes stacked against her. She’ll enter a plea and the case will then proceed to Discovery.
According to a statement released Thursday following the grand jury indictment, the judge getting this case from the random allotment will set a new bond for the additional charges. Hall’s currently being held in Orleans Parish Justice Center — where she’s been since March 3 — on $750,000 bond.
Daley says Hall’s arraignment likely occurs “within a week of landing in one of the (12) sections.”
More on the Patrick Murphy Murder Case
Check out previous coverage of the Patrick Murphy murder case from The Canary:
- Patrick Murphy Stabbed 3 Times
- Tick-tock of Patrick Murphy Preliminary Hearing
- What Will Megan Hall Say in Defense of Killing Patrick Murphy?
- “Get in the Bathroom” Last Words Patrick Murphy Heard
- Will DA Seek Lesser Charges in Patrick Murphy Murder Case?
- Patrick Murphy Murder Suspect Arrested
- Schuylkill County Residents Trolling Patrick Murphy Murder Suspect
- Patrick Murphy Murder Suspect Has Illicit History
- Locals React to Patrick Murphy Murder News
- Pottsville Businessman Patrick Murphy Killed in New Orleans